(1) These Procedures are intended to give effect to the uniform implementation of the Academic Promotions Policy.
(2) A call for applications for promotion will be emailed to all staff at least four weeks before the closing date for applications. Potential applicants should seek the advice of their supervisor before submitting an application.
(3) Applications are to be lodged electronically with the Director, Human Resources by the advertised closing date. Applications must include:
(4) Applicants may provide other material, in addition to their application, verifying the claims made in the application for promotion. This material will be held by the Committee Secretary and made available to panel members if requested. Only material, which is directly referred to in the application, should be included and must not exceed 12 items.
(5) A copy of the application will be forwarded to the applicant's nominated referees.
(6) As part of their application, applicants must provide the names and contract details for their referees as follows:
(7) The role of referees is not primarily to act as advocates for the applicant, but to provide informed and knowledge-based advice to the Promotions Committee on the claims made in the application and the significance of the evidence presented in support of those claims. Applicants should not include their supervisor, Head of Work Unit or relevant Executive Member as referees. For this purpose, Adjunct/Emeritus appointments of this University are NOT considered external to the University.
(8) HR Services will forward the completed application and Academic Staff Portfolio to the relevant supervisor for a Supervisor's Report to be completed and comments on the applicant's record of performance in the context of the criteria for promotion to be provided. After the report has been referred to the Head of School/Director for comment, the applicant must see the comments provided by the supervisor and Head of Work Unit and sign the report as evidence that this has been done, before returning the report to the Director, Human Resources.
(9) The Chair of the Promotions Committee (the Chair) will also seek reports from independent experts as follows:
(10) A HR Services representative will act as Promotions Committee Secretary and, in consultation with the Chair, will organise Promotions Committee meetings.
(11) Copies of applications, submitted Academic Staff Portfolios, referee and independent expert reports are referred to all Committee Members. Other material provided by applicants will be available for the panel to review upon request and during the interview process.
(12) Prior to formal Promotion Committee meetings, members may meet or correspond with the Chair to establish any matters where further information is required. The Chair may ask Committee Members for a prima facie assessment of individual applications.
(13) Where the Chair indicates that further information is required, the Promotions Committee Secretary will forward a written request to the applicant, asking them to address the matters raised as part of their interview. Applicants also may provide each Promotions Committee Member and the Promotions Committee Secretary with copies of a one page update of new evidence since the time of application.
(14) The Promotions Committee will interview the applicant in person unless there are circumstances which the Chair agrees preclude the applicant from attending. In such cases, the Chair may approve a telephone interview. Where circumstances prevent an applicant from participating in an interview, the Promotions Committee will proceed with its deliberations and make its recommendations without interviewing the applicant.
(15) Except in circumstances where the Chair has agreed that the applicant is unable to participate in an interview, the Promotions Committee shall normally interview each applicant in the presence of their supervisor. The supervisor may be asked to respond to specific questions by the Promotions Committee but shall not act as an advocate for the applicant at interview.
(16) The Promotions Committee may seek additional information at its discretion.
(17) Following the interviews, the Promotions Committee will deliberate and the Chair will forward the Promotions Committee's recommendations to the Vice Chancellor for approval.
(18) Each applicant will be advised of the Vice Chancellor's decision in writing and a copy will be forwarded to the relevant Head of School/Director. With due respect for the confidentiality of the proceedings, the Chair or nominee will provide verbal feedback to applicants as soon as possible, with the HR Services representative and the applicant's supervisor in attendance.