(1) For the purpose of this Policy:
(2) This policy specifies the University's commitment to providing a smoke-free workplace as required by the Smoke-Free Environment Act 2000 (NSW), Tobacco and Other Smoking Products Act 1998 (QLD), Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (QLD) and the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (NSW).
(3) The aim of this policy is to provide details of the measures in place within the University to control the hazard associated with tobacco smoke in the workplace.
(4) This policy applies to all staff, students, contractors and visitors to the University.
(5) All employees and students are entitled to a smoke-free workplace. Smokers are not entitled to smoke in the workplace, regardless of whether they work alone or work in a team or area in which one or more employees smoke.
(6) Smoking is prohibited in all workplaces within the University, including all University owned vehicles and boats, and all enclosed areas (e.g. Lecture theatres, tutorial and meeting rooms, the library, lobbies, foyers, corridors, offices, laboratories, workshops, common rooms, tea rooms and staff rooms).
(7) Smoking is banned near air intakes, external doors and windows, all paved or concreted areas and / or any area within 10 metres of any University building.
(8) Smoking is not permitted adjacent to any outdoor area where there are combustibles or flammables stored.
(9) Tobacco products are not allowed to be displayed or advertised in any campus shop.
(10) It is the responsibility of Heads of Work Units to ensure that this policy is enforced.