(1) These procedures are intended to give effect to the uniform implementation of the Probation Policy.
(2) The Head of Work Unit has the authority to confirm a probationary appointment in accordance with University Policies and Procedures. The Head of Work Unit also have the authority to extend a probationary appointment in accordance with the employee's contract of employment and University Policy and Procedures.
(3) Prior to the due date of a probationary review, HR Services will inform the Head of the employee's work unit that a probationary review is due.
(4) Normally, if the maximum period of probation applies, supervisors are required to complete probationary reviews as follows:
(5) However, where termination of employment is a possible outcome, the final review must be held at least four weeks prior to the end of the probationary period.
(6) At the conclusion of each review, the supervisor will prepare a report (either a Probation Report for Academic Employees or a Probation Report for Professional Employees), which includes a summary of the outcomes as they relate to the probation. The completed report should be signed by all parties, and a copy provided to the probationary employee.
(7) If an employee's probationary period exceeds 12 months, and they would normally be subject to an annual PMDR review, two separate reviews are not required and the formal probationary review will take precedence.
(8) Where the report contains adverse material about the employee, the employee has the right to respond in writing.
(9) Completed reports are to be referred to HR Services within 10 working days of the review being completed.
(10) The report and any additional documentation, including the employee's response, if appropriate, will be placed on the employee's personnel file in HR Services.