(1) This Guideline replaces Appendix 2.10(g) of the Academic Policy (December 2010).
(2) For the purpose of this Guideline, refer to the Academic Board's Definitions Policy.
(3) A Course Removal Submission is required when an existing course is to be removed from the offerings of the University. A Head of School, the Vice Chancellor, or Deputy Vice Chancellor may initiate a course removal process.
(4) Decisions to withdraw undergraduate courses should normally be made 12 months ahead of the relevant admission period to facilitate the removal of the course from marketing materials such as the QTAC and UAC Guides, recruitment brochures for domestic and international students and the University Handbook. Therefore the process should commence in advance of this date.
(5) There may be a number of different reasons for withdrawing a course. The decision to withdraw a course should be made in the context of the School/College and University strategic priorities and the Academic Plan. The implications of a course removal, including the impact on other courses and the redeployment of resources need to be considered.
(6) Courses with no active enrolment for 12 months will be flagged by the University for discontinuation. Some of the reasons for considering discontinuing a course, as outlined in the University Academic Plan 2005-2008 are:
(7) Where the proposal has come from a Head of School, the School Board /College Board shall be responsible for recommending the removal of a course. It shall then be forwarded for consideration by Council through the Academic Board.
(8) The Deputy Vice Chancellor must be informed of the proposed removal of the course to ascertain that this action does not adversely affect the strategic directions or current Academic Plan of the University and that it complies with ASCED requirements.
(9) Where the proposal comes from the Deputy Vice Chancellor or Vice Chancellor (VC) the Submission will go directly to Accreditation Committee for noting and forwarding to Academic Board and Council.
(10) A course removal shall not be acted upon until the Deputy Vice Chancellor: has confirmed that the removal of the course does not adversely affect the strategic directions or current Academic Plan of the University; that the removal of the course meets ASCED requirements; and the University Council has approved the Course Removal Submission.
(11) The following information is to be provided when proposing the removal of a course from the offerings of the University.
|1||Title for the Course||The full title of the course being withdrawn If there are nested courses being removed list these here|
|2||Abbreviated Title for the Course||The abbreviated title of the course being withdrawn If there are nested courses being removed list their abbreviated titles here|
|3||Level of Award||Undergraduate or Postgraduate|
|4||Academic Organisational Unit||The Academic Organisational Unit that is academically and administratively responsible for the course.|
|5||Faculty||Name of Faculty in which the responsible Academic Organisational Unit is located|
|6||Campus||On which campus or campuses is this course offered? This should include off shore locations if relevant.|
|7||Mode of Delivery||(a) internal/external/both (b) print-based/online-based/flexible mode (c) semester-based, trimester-based or other.|
|8||Year and teaching period for removal||Indicate year and teaching period of planned removal of the course.|
|9||Present Funding Source||- Commonwealth Supported - Australian Fee Paying Student Fees - International on shore student fees - International off shore student fees - Other (please specify)|
|10||ASCED Field of Education Code (FOE)||This field must show the ASCED FOE six (6) digit code and textual description. For example, '100705 (Written Communication)'. Refer to: Deputy Vice Chancellor, relevant Student Services Officer. NOTE: Combined and double degrees require two FOEs with the first code being the primary or initiating course.|
|11||ASCED||Approval Indicate here whether or not a course needs approval by ASCED before it can be removed. Required yes/no Obtained yes/no|
(12) Provide a short paragraph giving the rationale for the removal of the course, and where relevant, its nested courses.
(13) Does the removal of this course have an effect on other courses?
(14) Does the removal of this course affect combined or double degrees?
(15) Have affected Schools/Colleges been consulted? Who?
(16) What units, if any, are being removed from the offerings of the University?
(17) What other courses will be affected by the removal of these units?
(18) Have the Schools/Colleges been consulted?
(19) The transitional arrangements will be as follows:
|Unit Code||Unit Name||Last Offered (Study period)|
|Course Code||Course Name||School affected||Date of consultation|
(20) Head of School /Head of College
(21) Pro Vice Chancellor
(22) Deputy Vice Chancellor
(23) Vice Chancellor