This is the current version of this document. To view historic versions of this document click the link in the main navigation (grey) bar above or contact email@example.com for versions that expired pre August 2012.
Section 1 - Definitions
(1) In this these Rules, unless the context otherwise indicates or requires:
- 'Census Date' means the date prescribed in the Higher Education Support Act 2003 as the day upon which enrolment for a study period becomes fixed. A student cannot enrol or withdraw from units after census dates without significant academic and/or financial penalties. Census dates are set for each unit of study that the University proposes to offer each year.
- 'Class' includes a lecture, seminar, tutorial or other related activity.
- 'Enrolment' refers to enrolment or re-enrolment in a unit of study.
- 'Full-time' means a study load of at least 0.375 as at the census date for the relevant study period.
- 'Indebtedness to the University' means non-payment, by the prescribed date, of:
- prescribed fees and charges, namely, Student Contribution Fees and Tuition Fees;
- fines imposed under a University By law or Rule;
- administrative charges and fees;
- student loans and other financial obligations resulting from a Student Loan Agreement entered into with the University;
- rent or other charges arising from a student occupancy agreement entered into with the University;
- compulsory fees related to participation in a residential school, student excursion, student field trip or similar activity;
- charges related to the non-return or damage to University property or equipment.
- 'Off-campus' means enrolment in only an off-campus unit or units in the current study period.
- 'On-campus' means enrolment in at least one on-campus unit in the current study period.
- 'Part-time' means a study load of less than 0.375 as at the census date for the relevant study period.
- 'Reinstatement date' has the same meaning as 'Census Date'.
- 'SA-HELP' the Student Amenities Higher Education Loan Program allowing the Services and Amenities Fees to be deferred to the Australian Taxation Office for eligible students.
- 'Study period' means a semester, trimester, session or other period so designated.
Section 2 - Fees to be Paid
(2) All students shall pay the applicable fees and charges as set out in the Schedules.
(3) Fees and charges paid prior to due dates will be based on intended enrolment as stated in the enrolment instructions. The Director of Student Services shall calculate monies owing by the student or the University and require payment or authorise a refund, as necessary.
(4) Fees payable in accordance with Parts A, B and D and the relevant Schedule shall be levied each study period on the basis of the student's enrolment, or intended enrolment, for that study period.
Section 3 - Time for Payment
(5) Unless the Director of Student Services otherwise directs, fees listed in the Schedules related to Parts A, B, C and D, shall be paid on or before the date, determined by the Director of Student Services, for the relevant study period.
(6) Payment of the prescribed fees is a pre-requisite to the confirmation of an enrolment by the University.
(7) Eligible students are able to defer fees in Part D - of these Rules and the related Schedule through the SA-HELP loan scheme after valid submission of a SA-HELP form on or before the fee incurral date and the provision of a valid tax file number.
Section 4 - Director of Student Services Powers if Fees Unpaid
(8) If any fee (including special or administrative charges) payable by a student remains unpaid after the date determined in accordance with clause (5), the Director of Student Services may sanction, cancel or refuse the student's enrolment in a course or unit at any time thereafter.
(9) A student, whose enrolment has been cancelled or refused, may be reinstated upon payment of all outstanding fees and administrative charges before the final date for reinstatement.
(10) A student, whose enrolment remains cancelled or refused after the final date for reinstatement, or whose enrolment is cancelled pursuant to Section 7 - :
- shall not be enrolled for any unit or course, unless and until the Director of Student Services in special circumstances has otherwise permitted and that person has complied with any condition which may in the absolute discretion of the Director of Student Services be imposed;
- shall not attend any class or be entitled to sit for any examinations or be awarded any assessment grade; and
- shall, unless the Director of Student Services otherwise directs, remain liable for any administrative charges imposed prior to the date of the notice of cancellation, but may at the discretion of the Director of Student Services be granted a refund of any amount which may have been paid in excess thereof.
Section 5 - Student Sanctions
Failure to Pay Charges
(11) Any student who is indebted to the University may be subject to the imposition of student sanctions as in clause (13).
(12) A student who is sanctioned will be issued with a sanction notice requesting that the student take immediate action to resolve the outstanding obligations. Students are warned that failure to resolve the outstanding obligations by the date specified on the sanction notice may result in cancellation of enrolment.
(13) Student sanctions shall be imposed by the Director of Student Services following consultation with appropriate staff. Student sanctions may take the form of one, or more, of the following:
- withdrawal of approval to enrol;
- withholding of Notification of Assessment; and/or
- non-issue of a Transcript of Academic Record or Testamur;
(14) In exceptional circumstances, where the imposition of student sanctions would be inappropriate having regard to the circumstances, the Director of Student Services may direct that:
- student sanctions be not imposed;
- student sanctions be removed or varied; or
- conditions for discharging the student's indebtedness to the University be renegotiated.
(15) An application for special consideration, setting out the facts upon which the student relies and any corroborative evidence, shall be made in writing to the Director of Student Services, normally within 10 working days of the date of formal notification to the student of the imposition of student sanctions.
(16) The Director of Student Services shall respond to the application for special consideration, normally within 10 working days of the receipt of the application.
(17) A student may appeal against any decision made under this Rule. An appeal shall be made in writing to the Executive Director (Corporate Services), normally within 10 working days of notification of the relevant decision.
(18) The Executive Director (Corporate Services) shall rule on the appeal and inform the student in writing of the ruling, normally within 10 working days of receipt of the appeal.
(19) The decision of the Executive Director (Corporate Services) shall be final.
Section 6 - Refund of Fees
(20) Subject to any relevant provisions in Section 8, below, where the Director of Student Services receives from the student proper written notice of withdrawal from a course or unit or variation of enrolment, a refund of fees, in whole or in part, may be authorised at the discretion of the Director of Student Services.
Section 7 - Special Cases to be Determined by the Director of Student Services
(21) In any case in which by reason of special circumstances the fee to be paid, the time when a fee is payable, or any other matter necessary to be determined in order to enable the application of this Rule to that case, is not specifically provided for in this Rule, the Director of Student Services shall have authority to decide any question necessary to be decided in order to determine the matter.
Section 8 - Fees and Charges
Part A - Australian Tuition Fees
Tuition Fees - Australian Students
(22) Australian students undertaking courses that are not funded by the Commonwealth Government shall pay the relevant fee described in Australian Student Tuition Fee Schedule.
Refunds: Tuition Fees -Australian Students
(23) Fees paid by a student pursuant to this Part in respect of a study period shall be refunded in accordance with the following arrangements:
- A 100% refund of tuition fees paid in respect of a unit or course:
- which has been cancelled by the University;
- from which the student has been excluded on academic grounds;
- from which the student has withdrawn, in accordance with University rules, on or before the census date for that unit of study; or
- where other exceptional circumstances exist, as approved by the Director of Student Services.
Part B - International Tuition Fees
Tuition Fees - International Students
(24) International students shall pay the relevant charge set out in the International Student Tuition Fee Schedule.
Refunds: Tuition Fees — Overseas Students
(25) If the event described occurs, the student concerned shall be entitled to the refund of fees indicated:
- Full refund of fees paid if an offer of a place is withdrawn or the University is unable to provide the course. If, however, the offer was made on the basis of incorrect or incomplete information supplied by the applicant, the University shall retain 10% of the fee in respect of one study period.
- Full refund of fees paid if a student is excluded before the start of the study period.
- If the Director of Student Services receives from the student written notice of withdrawal from course:
- Commencing Students
- more than four weeks before the start of the study period all tuition fees paid are refundable less an administrative fee of 10% of the tuition fee applicable to that study period plus a full refund of fees paid in advance in respect of a following study period;
- Continuing Students
- before the start of the study period the student shall be entitled to a full refund of tuition fees applicable to the study period and a full refund of fees paid in advance in respect of a following study period;
- Commencing and Continuing Students
- on or before the last day of the fifth week of study period, the student shall be entitled to a refund of 50% of the fee applicable to that study period and a full refund of fees paid in advance in respect of a following study period;
- after the last day of the fifth teaching week of the study period, the student will not be eligible for any refund of the fee applicable to that study period but will be eligible for a full refund of fees paid in advance in respect of a following study period.
- If the Director of Student Services receives from a student written notice of withdrawal from a unit or units representing less than withdrawal from course:
- on or before the last day of the second teaching week of the study period the student shall be entitled to a full refund of the tuition fee applicable to that/those unit/s;
- on or before the last day of the fifth week of the study period the student shall be entitled to a refund of 50% of the fee applicable to that/those unit/s;
- for whatever reason beyond the fifth teaching week of the study period, the student shall not be eligible for a refund of the fee paid for that/those unit/s.
Part C - Administrative Charges
(26) Administrative charges are set out in the Administrative Charges Schedule and are to be paid before the necessary action can be processed.
(27) The following charges are non-refundable for all students except where special examination arrangements are required to cater for candidates with a physical disability or as a result of illness or other special circumstances acceptable to the Director, Student Services:
- Overseas Examination (per paper)
- Examinations requiring special arrangements or a change to exam centre within 3 weeks of the commencement of the exam period (per paper):
- SCU Campus
- Elsewhere within Australia
Part D - Services and Amenities Fees
(28) The Services and Amenities Fees are set out in the Services and Amenities Fees Schedule.
(29) A student shall normally be exempt from payment of fees in this Part if during the period of enrolment for which the fee is payable they are:
- enrolled in one of the following courses: SCU Head-Start, English Language Courses, Preparing for Success, Incoming Cross Institutional Study, Doctor of Philosophy, Masters by Research, Professional Doctorate Programs;
- an inmate of a correctional institution; or
- enrolled internally at an offshore location.
Refunds for Withdrawal or Cancellation of Enrolment
(30) Where the Director of Student Services receives appropriate notification of withdrawal from or cancellation of enrolment on or before the census date for the relevant study period, 100% of fees paid will be refunded. Refunds will be processed by Student Services and credited to the Student Account.
(31) Where withdrawal or cancellation of enrolment occurs after the census date of the relevant study period, no refund of fees paid or deferred through SA-HELP loan scheme is available.
(32) Where remission or refund of tuition fees is granted, no refund of fees paid or deferred through SA-HELP loan scheme is available.
Change of Location
(33) Where the Director of Student Services receives appropriate written notification of a change in location from an on campus location to an off campus location (or vice versa) on or before the census date for the relevant study period, the difference between fees paid and fees due will be refunded or invoiced. Refunds will be processed by Student Services and credited to the Student Account.
(34) No refunds shall be given for a change of location after the census date of the relevant study period.
(35) No change in amount of fees payable will occur after census date of the relevant study period.