(1) The purpose of this Policy is to establish the SCU registration requirements for staff seeking to undertake the role of Principal Supervisor or Co-Supervisor for new Higher Degree by Research (HDR) candidates. It seeks to ensure that candidates in SCU HDR awards (i.e. Masters by Research, PhD, or Professional Doctorates) have the best possible supervisory experience.
(2) This Policy applies to all staff.
(4) SCU staff must be approved for inclusion in the SCU HDR Supervisor Register in order to undertake the role of Principal Supervisor, or of Co-Supervisor, for new Higher Degree by Research (HDR) candidates.
(5) According to the criteria and exemptions established in this Policy, the Dean, Graduate Studies will determine whether or not a new supervisory applicant is placed on, or removed from, the HDR Supervisor Register. The decision of the Dean, Graduate Studies is appealable to the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research) whose subsequent decision is then final.
(6) Subject to obtaining a clause (7) exemption, in order to qualify for registration as a Principal Supervisor a staff member must:
(7) Prospective Principal Supervisors who do not meet all of the criteria at clause (6) may apply to the Dean, Graduate Studies for an exemption based on other Scholarly activities.
(8) Subject to obtaining a clause (9) exemption, in order to qualify for registration as a Co-Supervisor, a staff member must:
(9) Prospective Co-Supervisors who do not meet all of the criteria at clause (8) may apply to the Dean, Graduate Studies for an exemption based on other Scholarly activities.
(10) Staff seeking to obtain registration as Principal Supervisor or Co-Supervisor must complete an Application Form and submit it to their Head of School/Director, Special Research Centre for endorsement and forwarding to the Dean, Graduate Studies for determination.
(11) According to the criteria established in this Policy, the Dean, Graduate Studies will determine whether or not an applicant is placed on the Register.
(12) Staff who have an enrolled candidate(s) under their supervision as a Principal Supervisor or a Co-Supervisor at 1 June 2015, or who have successfully graduated a HDR candidate in the last seven years (since 1 June 2008) at any university as a Principal Supervisor or a Co-Supervisor will be deemed to be registered on the Registry. Supervisors deemed to be on the Registry will be registered automatically by the Graduate School. Registration will be as a Principal Supervisor if any of those supervisions was (or has been) as a Principal Supervisor, or as a Co- Supervisor if none of these supervisions are (or have been) at the Principal Supervisory level.
(13) Staff who are Registered as Co-Supervisors and who subsequently qualify as a Principal Supervisor via supervising a HDR candidate to completion, will have their registration automatically updated by the Graduate School.
(14) Staff who are eligible to supervise Masters level students and who subsequently meet requirements to supervise Doctoral and Masters level students through successful completion of a Doctoral degree will, upon provision of appropriate evidence of this completion, have their registration updated to include their eligibility to supervise Doctoral level students.
(15) Subject to clause (20), where registration is approved it will take effect for a period of three years. In the third year, the Manager, Graduate School will send a Renewal of Registration form to the Registered Supervisor for completion and returning to their Head of School or Director, Special Research Centre for endorsement and forwarding to the Dean, Graduate Studies for determination.
(16) In signing the form and making a recommendation for renewal of registration, the Head of School or Director, Special Research Centre will have regard to the Supervisor continuing to meet the Criteria for Registration at clauses (6) and (8) of this Policy.
(17) If a Renewal of Registration form is not received by the registration expiry date, the Supervisor's registration will lapse and the Supervisor will be removed from the register. The Dean, Graduate Studies will then conduct a review of that staff member's performance as an HDR supervisor.
(18) If a Supervisor provides a completed Renewal of Registration form (provided directly by the Manager, Graduate School) or an Application form after registration has lapsed, then subject to clause (19) the Supervisor's registration will be reinstated noting that a period of lapsed registration has occurred.
(19) Upon receipt of a Renewal of Registration form:
(20) The Dean, Graduate Studies may review the registration of any HDR Supervisor at any time. Such a review may result in the implementation of an intervention program that could include measures such as:
(21) Any staff who are deregistered as HDR Supervisors may re-apply and be accepted for registration in the same manner as new applicants.
(22) Any Supervisor who disagrees with a decision in regard to either their registration or deregistration may appeal to the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research).
(23) The Register will be:
(24) The establishment of a Register of HDR Supervisors will take effect from 1st September 2015. Any staff who are supervising HDR students and are not on the Register at this time will have their HDR Supervisions reviewed by the Dean, Graduate Studies in accordance with clause (20).