(1) This Procedure establishes processes to implement the Refunds and Remissions Policy. It outlines the process for:
(2) This Procedure applies to:
(3) Census Date
(4) Course of Study
(5) Domestic Student
(9) International Student:
(10) Offshore Student
(11) Non-refundable Course Fees
(12) Provider Default
(15) Student Default
(16) Study Period
(17) Unit of Study
(18) Fees paid by a Domestic Student in respect of a Study Period shall be refunded in accordance with the following arrangements:
(19) For the purposes of clause (18)a.iv, a student shall provide a statement signed by an authorised officer of the Defence Reserves which details the nature of the service rendered.
(20) The University will refund the unused proportion of fees paid where a student is expelled, suspended, or excluded in accordance with University Rules or Policy due to misbehaviour.
(21) If the Director, Student Experience Team receives from an International Onshore student, written notice of withdrawal from a course, a Refund (if any) will be determined as follows:
(22) If the Director, Student Experience Team receives from an International Onshore student written notice of withdrawal from a unit or units representing less than withdrawal from course:
(23) Subject to clause (24), the University will fully refund fees applicable to the Study Period paid by an International Onshore student if an offer of a place is withdrawn or the University is unable to provide the course (Provider default).
(24) If the University provides Confirmation of Enrolment, or enrols a student on the basis of incorrect or incomplete information being supplied by the applicant/student, the enrolment will be withdrawn and no refund will be payable.
(25) The University will fully refund fees applicable to the Study Period if an International Onshore student is excluded:
(26) In the unlikely event that Southern Cross University is unable to deliver a course in full, an International Onshore student will be provided with the option of placement in a suitable alternative course or refund of their unspent tuition fees.
(27) The University will refund the unused proportion of fees paid where a student is expelled, suspended, or excluded in accordance with University Rules or Policy due to misbehaviour.
(28) In cases of Provider Default refunds are payable within 14 days.
(29) In cases of Student Default refunds are payable within 28 days.
(30) To obtain a refund, non-award English Language Program Students must submit a written request for a standard refund to the Director, Student Experience Team.
(31) In cases of Provider Default refunds are payable with 14 days.
(32) In cases of Student Default refunds are payable within 28 days
(33) Standard refunds for non-award English Language Program International Students are available in the following circumstances:
(34) Where a student requests to be placed in an alternative Homestay during studies, they will be levied with a new placement fee and not be refunded for the remaining period with the original family unless exceptional circumstances are acknowledged by the Director of SCU College or nominee.
(35) If the University makes an offer on the basis of incorrect or incomplete information being supplied by the applicant/student, the offer will be withdrawn and no refund will be payable.
(36) International offshore students studying with Southern Cross University through an educational partnership or collaboration should contact their local provider for additional information about refunds.
(37) Refund applications made prior to Census dates will be administered by the respective local education collaboration.
(38) Applications made for refunds after Census date will be assessed on a case by case basis under the provisions contained in Section 6 - of these Procedures.
(39) Students seeking refunds after Census date must complete and submit the SCU Refund Application Form with supporting evidence to the local educational collaboration administration manager.
(40) The local manager will submit the Form, any supporting evidence and advice recommending support for or rejection of the refund application to the International Program administrator at SCU.
(41) SCU will process the application in accordance with these Procedures and advise the applicant and the local educational collaboration administration manager of the outcome on a case by case basis within 28 days.
(42) If a Refund is approved, SCU will make arrangements with the education collaboration for payment of the refund.
(43) Refunds for Study Abroad Students will be processed according to Part B - , noting the study abroad refund policy of the sending institution may also apply. Study Abroad Students should contact their sending institution for additional information about refunds.
(44) Where the Director, Student Experience Team receives appropriate notification of withdrawal from or cancellation of enrolment on or before the Census Date for the relevant Study Period, 100% of fees paid will be refunded. Refunds will be processed by the Student Experience Team and credited to the Student Account.
(45) Where withdrawal or cancellation of enrolment occurs after the Census Date of the relevant Study Period, no refund of fees paid or deferred through SA-HELP loan scheme is available.
(46) Where Remission or refund of tuition fees is granted, no refund of fees paid or deferred through SA-HELP loan scheme is available.
(47) A student may be granted a refund of fees paid or Remission of debt where he or she:
(48) The Delegated Officer will determine that exceptional/special circumstances apply where the circumstances:
(49) The Delegated Officer will be satisfied that a student's circumstances are beyond that student's control if:
(50) The Delegated Officer will be satisfied that a student's circumstances did not make their full impact on the student until on or after the applicable date for a Unit of Study if the student's circumstances occured:
(51) Students must lodge an Application for Remission or Refund of Fees Due to Special Circumstances with:
The Director, Student Experience Team
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157
LISMORE NSW 2480
(52) Application forms and instructions are available from the Student Experience Team or the Southern Cross University website at www.scu.edu.au/studentservices
(53) Applications which are received more than 12 months after withdrawal from the relevant unit/s or the last day of the Study Period for the relevant unit/s must provide appropriate documentation outlining the reason/s for late application.
(54) Separate documentation must be provided as explanation for making a late application, and this documentation cannot be the same as the documentation submitted for the application for Remission or refund.
(55) Circumstances supporting late applications may include, but are not limited to:
These circumstances must be documented and submitted with the application.
(56) Subject to clause (57), the University will advise the student in writing of the outcome of their application, normally within 6 weeks of receipt of the application. The notice of decision will state:
(57) In the case of Onshore International Students, where a refund is payable under this Procedure due to student default the University will provide advice and pay the student the amount within the time limits prescribed by the Education Services for Overseas Student Act 2000 as amended from time to time, and after receiving a written claim from the student.
(58) If the request is successful, the University will:
(59) Refunds will be paid directly to the student who submitted the application except for those International Students sponsored by a government authority. In these cases the refund will be paid to the authority who originally paid the student's fees and not directly to the claimant.
(60) If a student is not satisfied with the outcome of their application they may request a review within 28 days of receipt of notification.
(61) The request for review must be in writing and should:
(62) Applications for review should be lodged with:
Director, Student Experience Team
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157
LISMORE NSW 2480
(63) Within 4 weeks of receipt of the review request, the Student Experience Team will advise the student in writing of the outcome of their review request. The notification will state:
(64) If a student wishes to dispute the reviewed outcome they may apply to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal for a further review.
(65) If an application for refund is unsuccessful and a fail grade has been recorded against the unit(s) in which a refund is requested, the student may be eligible to apply for "withdrawal without failure" in accordance with the Rules Relating to Awards Rule 2, Section 6.
(66) If the student is not satisfied with the outcome of a review, he or she may apply to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) for a review of the Student Experience Team's decision. This application must be lodged within 28 days of receiving notice of the Student Experience Team's decision. Further information is available at http://www.aat.gov.au
(67) In the case where an onshore International Student is not satisfied with the outcome of the internal appeal process, he or she may appeal to the Commonwealth or New South Wales Ombudsman.
(68) The Director, Student Experience Team is responsible for ensuring that applications for refunds are administered and assessed according to this Procedure.
(69) Students are responsible for providing sufficient valid information and documentation with their application to enable a full, fair and reasonable assessment of the special circumstances on which the application is based.